Because we’re in a post-truth reality and Donald Trump’s hubris knows no bounds, he tweeted out a series of photos lauding the beginning of the construction of his notorious “border wall.”
Last Wednesday, Trump beamed, “Great briefing this afternoon on the start of our Southern Border WALL.
Great briefing this afternoon on the start of our Southern Border WALL! pic.twitter.com/pmCNoxxlkH
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2018
Then, during a speech in Ohio on Thursday, President Trump called the construction process a “thing of beauty.”
The primary problem with all of the above is that… the construction isn’t actually part of Trump’s long-promised border wall. Rather, it’s the replacement of a fence in Calexico in Southern California — a fence in which its original construction dates back to the 1990s.
Approximately a two mile stretch of the fence is being torn down and replaced with a sturdier 30 foot high barrier because the original fence was constructed using mostly scrap materials.
The Border Patrol earmarked the project in 2009 as a priority, long before Trump proposed his wall. Funding for the Calexico project ― about $18 million ― was allocated last year, the Sun reported.
In late February, David Kim, representing the Border Patrol’s El Centro sector, told The Desert Sun:
“We just wanted to … let everybody know that this is a local tactical infrastructure project that was planned for quite some time.” He said he wanted to ensure that “there is no confusion about whether … this is tied to some of the bigger immigration debates that are currently going on.”
Maritza Hurtado, Calexico’s mayor, told CNN: “This is not the beginning of a wall project for the Trump administration. It is completely different.”